“You want this. Trust me – you want it bad.” NewRecordDay.com
“The long and the short of it is that the Rhythm is completely quiet, highly resolving, explosively dynamic, and sounds freakin’ amazing. I suppose you could say that I’m a fan.” – Part Time Audiophile
That was Scot Hull, the founder of Part Time Audiophile, talking about the first Rhythm preamp, the 1.1. The current Rhythm is the 1.3.
How is the Rhythm 1.3 improved over the Rhythm 1.1 and 1.2?
The Rhythm 1.3 is a line stage preamp that provides a new level of audio enjoyment by employing radically new technology.
- Fully balanced XLR inputs (2) and output (1): for those of you with long cable runs or who feel that balanced XLR just sounds better
- Totally dual-mono power supply: left and right channels have their own power supplies and regulators for the ultimate in separation and imaging
- Improved output capacitors: Mundorf’s best and most costly, the “MCap Supreme EVO Silver Gold Oil”
- Improved power supply capacitors: the famously dominant V-Cap PTFE capacitors now drive our GreenForce power supply — with copper foil, totally unheard-of in an audio power supply.
- Improved circuit board: double the copper in each trace
- Our latest circuit: gain stage and power supply regulator designs benefit from our latest research
Designed, machined and assembled in Pennsylvania, the Rhythm 1.3 utilizes two 12au7 tubes in its gain stage. In addition to its remote volume control, the Rhythm 1.1 has a balance control, mute switch, stereo/mono switch, five sets of inputs (3 RCA, 2 fully balanced XLR) and three sets of outputs (2 RCA, one fully balanced XLR) in addition to a Record Out output and a Home Theater Bypass input pair. Its handy tube access door allows tube changes with no tools, just the touch of a finger. And the pleasing glow of the volume knob’s LED indicator points out where volume is set.
Sound at a Glance
Acquire the Rhythm 1.3 if you want your music to come alive, if you want toe-tapping rhythm, and if you want your music to have all the clarity, accuracy, and beauty that is present on your source material.
More on sound quality here.
Technology At A Glance
The Rhythm 1.3 uses an amplification circuit (“gain stage”) unlike any other. The way it amplifies is extremely easy on your tubes, running at a constant current and a remarkably low voltage (150 volts) for the blackest backgrounds possible, as well as the longest tube life you will find anywhere.
Its internal parts are of the highest quality, including the best capacitors ever built into a power supply (V-Cap™ capacitors), a first in audio made possible by Bob Backert’s patented GreenForce™ power supply.
Amazingly low output impedance (75 ohms) means that the Rhythm 1.3 combines beautifully with any power amplifier. The transformer is toroidal and custom-made. The IEC connector allows you to experiment with various power cords. And the premium jacks on the rear panel are so sturdy and widely spaced, the Rhythm 1.3 can handle whatever interconnects you may select.
More on technology here.