KLH Model Three
2-way 8" Acoustic Suspension Loudspeaker
KLH introduces the Model Three as an innovative, compact system that rivals the largest of loudspeakers. The mid-century modern Model Three reflects the iconic styling and musical integrity unique to the KLH brand while providing a solution for music enthusiasts with smaller listening spaces. Built on the acoustic suspension design principle and advanced technology, the Model Three has very similar characteristics and performance to the KLH Model Five. Don’t let the size fool you. Music will pour out of the Model Three's drivers to command every room, big or small.
- Iconic Mid-Century Modern Styling
- Acoustic Suspension Design – The most accurate and linear enclosure design available today
- Three-Position Acoustic Balance Control to tailor the loudspeaker’s output for the most difficult acoustic environments
- Non-Resonant Die-Cast Aluminum Woofer Frame
- Machined Aluminum 1” tweeter faceplate
- KLH cabinetry featuring a structurally reinforced
- ¾" MDF Enclosure
- Thirteen Component networks using high-quality iron-core inductors & Mylar capacitors
- Each speaker includes its own 8° slant riser base made of powder-coated 14-gauge steel
- Low-Profile Magnet Attached Grille
- 10-Year Warranty
First introduced in 1954, the acoustic suspension principle has long been regarded as the most accurate of all the loudspeaker designs available. Unlike most speaker designs today, the Model Three does not rely on the stiffness of a conventional woofer’s mechanical suspension to control the motion of its cone at low frequencies. Instead, it uses the acoustic stiffness of the air trapped within the enclosure to provide the necessary restoring force. This “air spring” is far more linear than the best mechanical speaker suspension and improves the cone’s ability to make long excursions in order to accurately reproduce the lowest frequencies without distortion. Acoustic suspension designs are regarded all over the world for their greater accuracy, tighter bass transients, and exceptional bass resolution and texture.
KLH quality cabinetry is immediately evident the first time you see it. The construction quality that first made us famous is still evident today. Meticulously crafted of genuine West African Mahogany, and European Walnut veneer - the 3/4" cabinet is structurally reinforced (front, back, and sides) resulting in an inert, air-tight, speaker enclosure.
The Model Three input panel is made from 1/8" aluminum and incorporates a 3-position acoustic balance selector. The acoustics in typical consumer listening rooms can vary widely due to the amount of soft and hard surfaces (such as carpet & furniture) in the listening space. Regardless of whether your listening room is too “live” or too “dead,” the Model Three gives you the ability to rebalance the loudspeaker so it always sounds its best.
The 8", high-excursion woofer is specifically designed to operate in an enclosure based on the acoustic suspension principle. The extremely low resonance of the woofer gives it very high compliance, perfect for use in a closed box design. The woofer features a high current, flat-wire voice-coil, an aluminum flux stabilizing ring to reduce non-linearities in the magnet assembly, and a heavy 5 lb. motor structure, all to greatly reduce distortion over large cone displacements.
The lightweight 1" aluminum dome tweeter combines the virtues of accurate frequency response and dispersion characteristics that are smooth and natural.
The heart of the Model Three design is the high-quality thirteen-component crossover network. Where the drivers are the orchestra - the crossover is the conductor. It manages the audio signal and directs the proper signal to the correct driver. The crossover network in Model Three uses 12dB/octave filter slopes on all drive components. This ensures the best possible summation of drive elements over the crossover band. Subjectively, the Model Three’s transition from one drive component to the next is virtually seamless, and the imaging and definition are much improved.
Slant Riser Base
Each Model Three speaker is shipped with an 8° slant riser base made from powder-coated 14-gauge steel - resulting in a very solid and non-resonant speaker base. The 8° up angle ensures the sound is directed properly towards the listener when the listener is seated at a typical listening distance.
The KLH Model Three West African Mahogany finish comes with Old World Linen grille cloth, and the English Walnut finish is sold with Stone Wash Linen grille cloth. These two grille options and the Basalt Black Knit grille are available as Model Three accessories and can be purchased separately.
- Frequency Response: 46Hz – 20,000Hz +/- 3dB
- Low Frequency Extension: -10dB @ 35Hz
- In-Room Sensitivity: 88dB @2.83V / 1M
- Free-field Sensitivity: 85dB @ 2.83V / 1M
- Power Handling: 150 Watts / 600 Watts Peak
- Recommended Power Amplification: 30 Watts to 150 Watts Per Channel
- In-Room Maximum SPL: 108dB
- Maximum Output @ 45Hz: 108dB
- Impedance: 6 ohms (3.7 ohm minimum @320 Hz)
- Horizontal Dispersion: 140° degrees
- Features: Three-Position Acoustic Balance Control
- Crossover Frequency: 1,500Hz (2nd order electro-acoustic)
- High-Frequency Driver: 1" Aluminum Dome with soft rubber suspension
- Low-Frequency Driver:
8" Pulp-Paper Cone with reverse roll suspension
1.5" Diameter Flat-Wire Voice Coil
- Non-resonant die-cast aluminum frame
- Enclosure Material: Structurally Reinforced ¾" Medium Density Fiberboard
- Inputs: Five-Way Gold-Plated Binding Posts
- Dimensions ( W x H x D)
With included riser base: 12.25" x 28.25" x 11.5"
Without included riser base: 12.25" x 19.0" x 10.5"
With included riser base: 36 lbs
Without riser base: 29 lbs
- Included Accessories: 8° Slant Riser Base
What's in the Box
Model Three 2-way, 8” Acoustic Suspension Loudspeaker
West African Mahogany finish comes with the Old World Linen grille cloth
English Walnut finish comes with the Stone Wash Linen grille cloth
Nordic Noir comes with the Medici Grey Linen grille cloth
Matte Black Slant Riser Base