Rogue RH-5 Tube Headphone Amp
Features & Specs
The optional phonoboard is MM/MC switchable and has 8 loading options. MC cartridges of .5mV of output and greater are recommended for use with the MC setting (55dB gain).
The Rogue Audio RH-5 headphone amplifier brings our groundbreaking RP-X technology platform to the personal audio world. The new RH-5 will deftly drive the most demanding headphones with a clarity, richness and tube smoothness that must be heard to be believed. Beyond its remarkable performance and design, the feature rich RH-5 provides a wide variety of connectivity and user selectable listening options. Ultra quiet, powerful and sublimely musical, the RH-5 offers a superb new option for high end headphone users.
Features include three pairs of RCA inputs and one pair of balanced XLR inputs. Headphone outputs are provided via 3 pin and 4 pin fully balanced outputs as well as two 1/4" TSR headphone jacks enabling a shared listening experience. Three gain settings allow the output to be matched for either high, medium or low sensitivity headphones. An easy to read OLED display elegantly communicates component settings and volume. The display can also be turned off if desired. The seven button remote allows you to turn on the RH-5, change volume, select source and mute output as well as dim the display.
The RH-5 is not just a superb headphone amplifier, it can also be used as the cornerstone of your two channel audio system. Offering both balanced and single ended preamplifier outputs, the RH-5 will also do a wonderful job of driving your preferred amplifier and speakers. An optional phono board also allows you to play your favorite records through either the headphones or loudspeakers. The onboard MM/MC phono has user adjustable gain settings of 43 and 58 dB to accommodate most popular cartridges. A wide variety of loading options also means your favorite cartridge can be configured to sound its very best.
Folks, the Rogue RH-5's MC phono stage is a super value at $400. It conveyed signals from the EMT TSD 75 ($1950), Hana EL ($475), and AMG Teatro ($2749) cartridges with more realistic weight and dynamic assurance than either of my more expensive phono preamps.
When Sphere and I finally compared the results of our separate auditions of Rogue Audio's RH-5, it was obvious that we shared two conclusions:
1) Because many of today's best headphones use low-sensitivity planar-magnetic drivers, which require an amp with low output impedance and high power output—and the RH-5 is just such an amplifier—the questionable drive capabilities of most headphone amplifiers might be limiting these headphones' potential.
2) Because of its full-bodied sound, selectable gain, and extraordinary ability to drive low-sensitivity headphones, the Rogue Audio RH-5 is an important new high-value product.
Best of all, my meandering investigations have answered my opening questions in the affirmative: The Rogue RH-5 was able to resolve subtle differences among components under review. It will make an effective anchor at the center of my reviewing practice—just as I'd hoped it would.
· Two tube mu-follower design
· High current MOSFET buffered outputs
· L/R 3 pin XLR headphone outputs
· 4 pin XLR headphone outputs
· Two 1/4" TSR headphone jacks
· Multi function remote control
· Three faceplate accessible gain settings
· Three pairs of RCA inputs
· Slow start turn on sequencing
· One pair of balanced XLR inputs
· One pair of balanced XLR preamp outputs
· One pair of RCA preamp outputs
· Gold plated RCA jacks
· Machined aluminum faceplate and knobs
· OLED display with on/off
· 43/58 dB MM/MC phono stage (optional)
· RIAA equalization within 0.1 DB
· User adjustable cartridge loading
· Detachable IEC power cord
· Fully tested, burned in and auditioned
· 3 year limited warranty (6 months on tubes)
· Proudly designed and hand crafted in the USA!
· Tube complement: 2 x 12AU7/ECC82 tubes
· Frequency response: 5Hz – 50KHz +/- 1 dB
· THD: <0.05%
· Gain line stage: 3dB/12dB/16dB (selectable)
· Rated output: 3.5W (32Ω)
· Output impedance: <0.1Ω (1KHz)
· Gain phono stage: 43dB, 58dB
· RIAA accuracy: +/- 0.1 dB
· Phono overload: 40mV
· Power consumption on: 31W
· Dimensions: 15”W X 13.5 ”D X 4” H
· Weight 19 pounds
· Shipping weight 25 pounds
· Power requirements 115V – 50/60Hz